Wednesday, October 5, 2011

D.I.Y: Vintage Inspired Earrings

It's very hard to find nice thrift  or vintage stores in Puerto Rico, so I decided I was going to find a way to create vintage inspired pieces. I've been looking at vintage patterns to hopefully be able to sew some of my own pieces but I decided it was best to start small. I think that vintage inspired earrings were the best starting point. I found a very easy way to create vintage inspired earrings using assorted buttons. Here's what you'll need:
  • buttons 
  • earring pieces(you can find them at most craft stores and they usually have the back and closing part) 
  • cutting tool or pliers 
  • hot glue gun 
                              

    • With the cutting tool or the pliers cut the back of the buttons. There's also a specific tool you can buy but any good set of pliers should do the trick. Make sure you cut the back of button completely or else the back of the earring won't lay flat.   
    • Put a drop of hot glue a little bit off center towards the top of the button. I used to glue in the center of the buttons, but then I noticed that the buttons didn't lie quite as flat on the ear as earrings normally do. You should be very careful when gluing because once the glue dries it's very hard to remove the piece.  Make sure to remove the excess glue.

    Voila!! Wait for the glue to dry and wear your cute button earrings.  
              

              


       

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...